Thursday, October 27, 2016

One-Layer Card featuring Ice Cream, You Scream

Happy Thursday, friends!  It's Tara and today I thought I'd take a break from Halloween and fall card making to create a fun and colorful anytime card!  I just love the Ice Cream, You Scream stamp set and I hadn't had the chance to use all of the super adorable little smiley faces that are included so I really wanted to stamp out some smiley ice cream cones!


I kept this card nice and simple by doing some easy masking to create a one-layer design.  I first stamped all three of my ice cream cones and my sentiment.  Next, the cutie little smileys were added. I created one mask of the ice cream cone and used a circle die to cut a piece of mask paper to create a reverse mask - I didn't use the circle but rather the remaining mask paper so I could ink up inside the circle. 


By first masking the ice cream cone and then placing my circle reverse mask over the top I was able to create the fun spotlight effect behind each cone!  I overlapped my colors to add more dimension but you don't have to do that if you don't want to.  Here are a few tips I picked up while doing this technique that I'll remember for next time: 1) Let the ink on your mask fully dry before applying ink over the top to avoid black smudges, 2) don't use a stitched die for your circle unless you want ink to show through the stitching detail, and 3) Mama Elephant pigment inks are GORGEOUS and blend really easily!!  It's all just trial and error and I love to learn from my mistakes so that I can avoid them next time!


I used Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol to color in my ice cream so that they would have the same smooth, blended look at the background circles.  Every time I use this technique I just love it and wonder why I don't use it more often!  Need to log that away for future projects!




I hope you enjoyed this bright and cheery card!  Don't you just love that sentiment?!  Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll catch you next time!  Bye!

1 comment: